Remember years ago when everyone was posting “25 things you don’t know about me” on facebook and tagging people in it? I did one (almost 5 years ago) and since I can’t seem to get a thing written on the blog recently I thought it would be fun to go back and look what I wrote then, and how much has changed. See my new commentary in bold.
1. I love early American history. I can’t get enough of it. I enjoy presidential history such as: Who was the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms? Grover Cleveland #22, #24. What calendar year did America have 3 presidents? 1841- Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler. Yep, this is still true. The only difference is now I am a member of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
2. I have an irrational fear of fisherman. I grew up in Monterey, I know. They terrify me. Once while I was working at an ice cream shop in PG a man came in that looked like a fisherman and I ducked behind the counter and made my coworker help him. Still true also, although living in Las Vegas I don’t come across many fisherman.
3. I bite my fingernails. I am 25 years old and have my whole life. I don’t know if I will ever stop. I had acrylic nails for 3 months when we got married. As soon as they came off I started biting again. Oh well. I’m about to turn 30 and this one is not so true any more. I stopped biting my nails about a year after I wrote this. Just up and stopped one day. If I actually take the time and effort to have manicures my nails looks pretty nice. Except that I don’t and they don’t.
4. I loved high school. I know most people hated their high school years, but I had such a blast in high school. Art Academy?… two words: group finals. We got to do music videos and 80’s skits instead of writing papers. Robin and I in Swartz’s class? 7:45am lasagna/ pie/Dr. A+ parties. Giant pencils, cat throw up notebooks. Disco balls and lychee. Mr. Locker Fish. The dark room in photo. Gosh, these were some of the best times of my life. I’d live it all over again in a second. Oh so true.
5. I have two tattoos and 5 piercings. 4 ear and 1 nose piercing. One tattoo on my back of a tiki guy and a hibiscus from our honeymoon (Russell has one to match) and one on my ankle of my Boo Kitty’s paw print. I have been wanting another tattoo for about a year or so. 5 small birds flying on my chest/shoulder area. One for each of us. Maybe someday.
6. I love Bon Jovi. o.k. so I know this is supposed to be things you might not know, but I can’t not include something about Bon Jovi in a list of things about myself. Robin and I were lucky enough to see Bon Jovi in concert in 2007. It was an incredible night I won’t soon forget. I still love Bon Jovi, and I also had the pleasure of seeing them in April with Russell’s boss. I am a lucky girl.
7. I can play almost any instrument placed in front of me. In elementary school I played piano, flute, trumpet, and saxophone. The band instructor at the middle school I would be going to heard about me and the summer between 5th and 6th grade she had me learn the french horn. I started 6th grade in advanced band playing french horn. I can also play piccolo, clarinet and bass guitar. I haven’t touched an instrument in years. We have my flute and Russell’s saxophone in the girls’ closet, but they have yet to emerge and be played.
8. I can’t clap. O.k. I can clap like for a show or a play. I can’t clap on beat. Weird huh? Since I can play all those instruments. I have no rhythm but I can hear a song and replicate it. People always think I am upset at church because everyone but me is clapping. I really can’t, it is terrible. True. Still true. Don’t make fun of me.
9. My name is a palindrome. For those of you who don’t know what that means it is when a word is spelled the same forward and backward. Like bob and racecar. Anina. Check it out. I didn’t change my name, so this is still true also.
10. My first zoo visit was when I was 24 years old. Technically I went once when I was like 6 months old, but I don’t remember it at all. We took the girls to the Oakland Zoo when they were just over one. Wyatt got to go to an Alpine Zoo before his first birthday, and we might be making another visit to a zoo on our summer vacation. We’ll see!
11. I have never smoked anything. ever. no cigarettes, no pot. In fact alcohol is the only “drug” I have ever used other than aspirin. I am proud of that. I even just had ibuprofen when I had my wisdom teeth out. I have had two c-sections since writing this, and have managed through with very little drugs. I took mortin in the hospital after the operations, and came home taking only Tylenol for a day or so. I guess I have a pretty high pain tollerance.
12. I broke my nose. Let me say that again… I broke my own nose, myself. I opened a door right onto my face and broke it. Oops. Ya.
13. I am allergic to mosquitoes. Once in Texas I was sent home from work because my mosquito bites were “freaking out the customers”. I had one bite and my hand and it was so swollen you couldn’t even tell I had knuckles. I was on steroids for a week to help me fight it off. Luckily we don’t have many mosquitos where we live, so it has been a long time since I’ve been bitten.
14. I love water sports. I feel so comfortable being in the water and can’t imagine now knowing how to swim. It would be like not knowing how to walk. River tubing, kayaking, tubing behind a speed boat on a lake, (I haven’t had the opportunity to try water skiing/wake boarding yet) swimming- even in the ocean (unless there are fishing boats near by!) I love it all. This is our first year having a pool in our backyard. It seems our girls like the water as much as I do.
15. I don’t like hamburgers or chocolate. What did my mom do with me as a kid when I went to birthday parties?? Answer, we went to McDonald’s before hand and I ate chicken nuggets. Once my parents told me I couldn’t eat my watermelon until I finished my hamburger, so I threw it away in their bathroom trash. I never went in there so I assumed they didn’t either. They found it and I got caught. I wanted my watermelon… I will eat hamburgers now. They are not my favorite thing in the world, but I will eat them from time to time. I like hard chocolate (like candy bars, and chocolate chips) but still do not enjoy brownies, chocolate ice cream, chocolate milk, fudge and all those other things you might be thinking are delicious. Not for me.
16. I love board games and card games. I think some of the best times happen around games and am lucky to be a part of a family that played together a lot growing up. I still love games, and have many new favorites like Kingdom Builders and Dominion. I can’t wait for the kids to be able to play games with us. It’s almost time to get Candyland!
17. I would rather eat fruit than almost anything. As a kid my parents would have to hide fruit when they bought it otherwise I would eat it all and no one else would get any. Still true. And my kids feel the same way. Like 75% of our food budget is produce.
18. I like things that are familiar. In fact I read the same books, watch the same shows and movies over and over and over. I have read Angels and Demons more times that I can count, and know Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure by heart. I never get tired of them. I have branched out a little and am reading my way through the John Grisham novels. But I still love my old favorites. I also order the same food wherever we go.
19. When I was a baby people used to think I was adopted. I have olive Italian skin and tan very quickly, while my mom is very white and Danish. Also, my mom lost her baby weight immediately after I was born, she left the hospital in her pre-maternity clothes! My husband really was adopted. My girls at least have my skin as well. Even though I load them up with SPF 50 every time we step into the sun they are already getting so dark. Summer has just begun!
20. I buy mens jeans, and shoes from time to time. The shoes are because it is hard to find womens shoes in my size, and the jeans because they have figured out to size them by waist AND length. Why can’t women’s clothes figure out how to do this?? Ok, I don’t do this anymore. I still think women’s sizes need some serious help, but I have found a couple places that have stuff that fits me right.
21. I like puzzles a lot. Set, Sudoku, I have even beat Tetris a few times. Did you know you can actually beat that game? I don’t have much time for this anymore, but sometimes moving things around in our fridge feels like one of those puzzles when you try to free one block by moving everything else around one space.
22. I actually enjoy doing all the housework things of being a stay at home wife. Except floors, I hate cleaning floors. Ha! Who has time for this?
23. All my pets have presidential names. John Adams (bird), Rusterford B. Hayes “Rusty” (dog), and Tanklin Roosevelt “Tank” (cat). See #1…. We now have a cat Leila who doesn’t have a presidential name. We didn’t name her, her old owners did and I just couldn’t change it. We do call her “Monster” almost all of the time though. She is the sweetest cat.
24. I am taller than my husband. I didn’t wear shoes to our wedding so I wouldn’t be taller in the pictures. All three of our kids look like they will be taller than him too. Poor Russell.
25. I love my life. 🙂 It is a totally different life than I had almost 5 years ago, but I still love it.